BootSafe is a no-hassle utility to restart Windows in the Safe Mode of your choice.
Current Version: 4.1 (Compatible with Windows XP – Windows 10)
Windows ‘Safe Modes’ are designed to start Windows with minimal functionality and no additional running software. This can be very useful in troubleshooting, repair, and malware removal scenarios (but is NOT designed or recommended for general usage!)
BootSafe removes the work normally involved in configuring and starting Windows in any Safe Mode environment. BootSafe also automatically attempts to repair damage to registry areas required to start ‘Safe Mode’ (in the event of a malware infection, or when other damage occurs.)
Simply run BootSafe and select the desired Safe Mode option. Next click the ‘Restart Windows’ button to apply the configuration and restart Windows (this will force the restart instantly, closing any open software; any data not saved will be lost!) Alternately you may apply the configuration only (allowing you to restart later at your convenience) by clicking the ‘Configure Only (No Restart)’ button.
Upon restarting into a ‘Safe Mode’ you will be prompted by BootSafe to return to ‘Normal Mode’ or to continue starting in the ‘Safe Mode’ you chose on any subsequent restarts.
Backup: Before any run, BootSafe creates or verifies that %systemdrive%\BCDbak exists, if not it is created with the command “bcdedit.exe /export %systemdrive%\BCDbak” and can be imported manually with bcdedit’s /import command. This process should never be necessary as BootSafe will always have the capability through the user interface or via command line parameter to restore Normal Mode startup functionality, and additionally this command at recovery console will undo the behavior:
bcdedit.exe /deletevalue safeboot
Safe Mode with Command Prompt Only:
When restarting Windows into this mode, please note the options to re-run BootSafe from the command prompt (without knowing the location of the file.) Simply type the command below:
- bootsafe – starts the main BootSafe interface with all available options.
- bootsafe /[parameter] – start BootSafe.exe with any supported command line parameter (where [parameter] is replaced with the actual parameters documented here.)
Command Line Parameters: (for scripting/etc.)
Several command line parameters are provided for advanced usage, which are documented here. Command Line parameters are applied by running the BootSafe.exe file followed by the command in bold below (each beginning with the forward slash character,) by using the Windows ‘Run’ dialog or a ‘command prompt’ console window.
- /restart (or /reboot) – forces Windows to restart instantly, as it is currently configured.
- /normal – prompts the user to restart into Normal Mode.
- /safe – prompt to restart into Safe Mode
- /safenet – prompt to restart into Safe Mode with Networking
- /safecmd – prompt to restart into Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- /remove – removes any modifications to the system made by BootSafe, and restores Windows configuration to start into ‘Normal Mode’.
(Please note: with any BootSafe invoked Windows restart, all open software will be closed without prompt; any data not saved will be lost! Additionally with any command line operation, completely silent operation is not supported, but may be considered in future versions.)
No installation / Run Anywhere / “Portable” Use:
This program may be run from anywhere on the local PC’s file system, a flash drive, CD/DVD, or any other removable media. Simply copy BootSafe.exe to the device/media of your choice, and run it directly from that device/media wherever you go!
Network paths (including ‘Mapped Drives’) are not supported, as Windows must have access to the BootSafe.exe file upon restarting into a ‘Safe Mode’ in order to restore normal operations. For this reason BootSafe will refuse to run from network paths (there is no override.) A future edition may offer the option to copy itself (BootSafe.exe) to the local PC and run it from there, if requested.
- This software completely FREE for personal and commercial use under the terms of this license.
- This program is provided with no warranties or guarantees of any kind, and that you and only you are held as the bearer of sole responsibility for any use or misuse of this software and any resulting damages in any form, monetary or otherwise.
- See the inserted EULA.txt for the full license agreement.
Get it here:
Join us for live tech chat, product questions, support, and technical training right here!
Both Foolish IT customers and non-customers alike are welcome to discuss anything Foolish!
We’re having a 30% off SALE on ALL PRODUCTS!! [EXPIRED] flash sale! Get 30% off ALL Foolish IT products by using the coupon...